Friday, October 29, 2010

Day 1

I think I finally found the book that I am going to use for my devotional.  I think it will keep me involved and thinking about it through the day.....at least I hope so.  It is called Edge by a whole bunch of people.  I got it back in 2003 from our church.  The message inside reads:
   Melina, May God continue to lead and guide you as you seek after His will.  Always look to Him for your guidance.  God bless, (My Church) Sunday School  6/1/03
   I am not sure if I will share every day but I might.  This time I will.

Day 1

   Sometimes it seems like the entire world is made up of cliques.  African Americans.  Irish Americans. Hispanics. Asians. Upper class. Middle Class. Lower Class. A students. B students. C students. Baby boomers. Generation Xers. Haves. Have nots.
   In a society so intent on emphasizing differences, it can be tough to find common ground with other people. And yet, in he first chapter of the first book of the Bible, God makes it clear that everyone who draws breath on this planet shares one important characteristic.

Genesis 1:26-27 
Then God said, "Let us make people in our image, to be like ourselves. They will be masters over all life- the fish int he sea the birds in the sky, and all the livestock, wild animals, and small animals."  So God created people in his own image; God patterned them after himself; male and female he created them.

Most people learn at an early age that the world consists of "us" and "them." When on of us is in trouble-whether it's a friend, family member, or neighbor- we'll usually do our best to help that person. When one of them is in trouble-a homeless person who lives in the park, an immigrant family struggling to support themselves without a steady income, or a  starving tribe in a foreign land-we're not as motivated to help.  Why? Because we don't take their plight personally.  We feel very little connection to them or their situation. We have nothing to gain by easing their hardships. Or so we think.
   In reality, if we take God's words spoken at creation to heart, we will recognize that there is no "them"; there is only "us." We are all created in God's image. When we choose to ignore the struggles and difficulties of our neighbors, no matter who they are, we slight the ones who bear the imprint of God's Marvelous creation.
   On the other hand, when we choose to get involved int he lives of those who are struggling, when we decide to focus on similarities rather than differences, we reflect not only God's image, but his grace as well.

HERE'S WHAT I'M GOING TO DO
  • Try to see others through God's eyes
  • Focus on similarities even if there are more differences
  • Not hold grudges against people who have wronged me
  • but instead learn to trust people even if that means pain
  • Seek out the people who are not in a "group" and show them God's love
So I guess I would like to challenge you as well as myself.... What are you going to do?

2 comments:

  1. hmm, this is a really good challenge. something that i have been struggling with as well! prayers towards you as you undertake this difficult journey of loving others. we are all in this together. :)

    ReplyDelete